The Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and Cooperation E-Medien Österreich (KEMÖ) have signed a three-year contract with the publishing house John Wiley and Sons Inc. that combines the use of Closed Access content and the publication of Open Access articles in Wiley outlets.
FWF-funded authors that
- are affiliated with one of the 22 participating KEMÖ members and
- are corresponding authors of a publication
can publish unlimited and free of charge Open Access articles in Wiley’s hybrid journals. The agreement applies to all articles accepted by Wiley in hybrid journals from 1 January 2018. Authorized authors are automatically identified and informed about the possibility of free Open Access publication.
A press release on the deal can be read here (in German language). On the website konsortien.at of you’ll find some more information on the agreement including a list of journals covered by it. It comprises 1,327 of 2,486 journals that Wiley publishes in total.
Accordingly, this agreement raises the same questions as the Elsevier consortium in Finland: How this list was negotiated could be interesting. Especially as a similar list of journals, which was compiled in a comparable deal with Elsevier in the Netherlands, is said not to have been loaded with high-quality journals… The financial conditions are also likely to be interesting, but nothing has been made public about them so far.
Graphic available in Public Domain from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/134157/cashier_currency_dollar_money_icon
- Presentation on Risks and Trust in pursuit of a well-functioning PID infrastructure for research - 8. Januar 2022
- Die Öffnung der Wissenschaft – Werkheft zur Gestaltung der Transformation - 12. November 2021
- Workshop Social Media in Science Communication - 2. November 2021