About Ulrich Herb: university graduations, main research areas, projects, publication activities, memberships in committees and associations.
Degree in Sociology from Saarland University (Diplom-Soziologe, M.A. equivalent), PhD in Information Science from Saarland University.
Main Research Areas
Electronic publishing, science communication & science infrastructure, scientific publishing, science research, scientometrics, social media, media & information journalism, science journalism.
Since 2001 working for the Saarland University and State Library as project manager and Open Access expert and since 2011 freelancing for ./scidecode.
Since 2001 project manager of a number of third-party funded projects (mainly funded by the German Research Foundation DFG) at the Saarland University and State Library (SULB), among others:
- Virtual Library Psychology
- Digital Psychology Information
- OPUS 4 (Re-Design of a E-Publishing Software)
- JISC Usage Statistics Project, fundedy by the Joint Information Systems Committee (UK)
- Open Access Publishing
- Summa cum Fraude
Memberships in Committees and Associations
- Working Group Electronic Publishing of the German Initiative for Networked Information (Deutschen Initiative für Netzwerkinformation DINI e.V.)
- Society for Science and Technology Research /Gesellschaft für Wissenschafts- und Technikforschung e.V. (GWTF)
- Section “Cultural Theory and Cultural Research” of the Austrian Society for Sociology ÖGS
- Open Science Working Group of the Open Knowledge Foundation OKFN
- Association of Higher Education of Information Science in the German-speaking countries (board member since 03/2017)
- Working Group Scientific Publication System of the Alliance of Science Organizations in German
- Advisory Board of the research project “Open Access in Vocational Education and Training Research” of the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training BIBB.
Former Memberships in Committees and Associations
- Sounding Board “Communicating Open Science” of the Max-Planck-Society (2013)
- Open Access Working Group of the Leibniz Association
- Expert group “Copyright for the Information Society” of the Google Collaboratory
Publications, Reviewer activities, Memberships in Editorial Boards
Member of the editorial board of the journals Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis und Young Information Scientist, Reviewer for various scientific journals (e.g. Scientometrics, Information – Open Access Information Science Journal, First Monday, Zeitschrift für Hochschulentwicklung, Mitteilungen der Vereinigung Österreichischer Bibliothekarinnen & Bibliothekare, Technikfolgenabschätzung – Theorie und Praxis“ (TATuP), Young Information Scientist and Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis).
Further information about Ulrich Herb: Lectureships
- Lectureship at the Hochschule der Medien (HdM) in Stuttgart 2012, 2013, 2016, 20217
- Annual guest lectures at the University of Applied Sciences Chur (CH) at the Department of Information Science since 2015
- Lectureship at Saarland University in the winter semester 2011/12 and summer semester 2012
- Lectureship at the University of Applied Sciences Chur (CH) at the Department of Information Science in 2011