Ulrich Herb – Higher Education: German diploma (MA equivalent) in Sociology from Saarland University, PhD in Information Science at Saarland University.
Focus areas: electronic publishing, science communication & infrastructure, scientific publishing, scientometrics, science research, social media, media & information journalism, science journalism. Social research and market research for Thomas Hippchen social & market research and Dr. von Keitz Communication Research.
Since 2001 project manager for several third-party funded projects (funded mostly through the German Research Foundation DFG) at SULB (Saarland University and Saarland State Library) including:
- Virtual Library Psychology
- Digital Psychology Information
- OPUS 4 (Re-Design of an E-Publishing Software)
- JISC Usage Statistics Project, funded by the Joint Information Systems Committee (UK)
- Electronic Publishing Working Group of the German Initiative for Network Information DINI e.V.
- Society for Science and Technology Studies (Gesellschaft für Wissenschafts- und Technikforschung e.V. GWTF)
- Section for „Cultural Theory and Cultural Studies“ of the Austrian Society for Sociology ÖGS
- Open Science Working Group of the Open Knowledge Foundation OKFN
- Association of Information Scientists in Higher Education in German-speaking countries (board member since March 2017)
- Working group “Scientific Publication System” of the Priority Initiative Digital Information (a joint initiative of the Alliance of Science Organisations in Germany)
- Advisory board of the research project “Open Access in Vocational Education and Training Research” of the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (BIBB).
Former member of:
- Member of the Sounding Board “Communication of Open Science” of the Max Planck Society (2013)
- Open Access Working Group of the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Association
- Expert Group „Copyright for the Information Society” of Google’s collaboratory
Editorial board member (Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis), Reviewer for several scientific journals (including Scientometrics, Information – Open Access Information Science Journal, First Monday, Zeitschrift für Hochschulentwicklung, Mitteilungen der Vereinigung Österreichischer Bibliothekarinnen & Bibliothekare, Technikfolgenabschätzung – Theorie und Praxis“ (TATuP) and Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis). Reviewer of applications for funding from the German Research Foundation and the Leibniz Association (Leibniz Competition).
- Saarland University (SULB), project manager & scientific publishing expert
- Spring semester 2012, 2013, 2016 and 2017: Stuttgart Media University (HdM)
- Winter semester 2011/2012 and summer semester 2012: Visiting lecturer at Saarland University/ Germany
- Spring semester 2011: Visiting lecturer in Information Science at the University of Applied Sciences in Chur/Switzerland
- Annual invited lectures in Information Science at the University of Applied Sciences in Chur/Switzerland since 2015